Robbery and homicide on 18th St. and 5th Ave.

This popped up last night, 01/09/13 on the CCGH news group after many of us heard or witnessed police helicopter activity in the area. Unfortunately it was as a result of a robbery turned homicide. NY1 , DNAinfo and South Slope News have the story (not sure of other news outlets). UPDATED NEWS from Park Slope Patch.

Here’s the official police report from the 72nd Pct. via Community Board 7. Obviously if you saw something, contact the Pct. immediately at 718.965.6311:

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013, at approximately 1919 hours, one 67 year old male, Hispanic, was attacked by a male wearing all black including a black mask. The aided was observed lying on the sidewalk with profuse hemorrhage from the back of his head, injuries consistent with severe fall. The victim was removed by EMS to Lutheran Medical Center where he was pronounced deceased at 2129 hours. The details are as follows:

On the aforementioned date at approximately 1919 hours, two Police Officers of the 72 Precinct were alerted by a male witness on 5th Ave. & 18 Street, and were informed that a man was lying on the sidewalk in front of 225 18th Street, and were informed that a man was lying on the sidewalk in front of 255 18th Street, Brooklyn, NY. The officers immediately responded to the location and began to administer first aid pending the arrival of EMS. Shortly thereafter, a signal 10-30 (Robbery in progress), male robbed was broadcast over division radio to the same location where one police Sergeant and additional police officers responded and observed the victim laying motionless on his back, bleeding profusely from an apparent laceration to the back of his head. The two officers from ESU who had also responded were administering first to the victim. A witness was interviewed who provided the description of the perpetrator running from the scene. A second female witness stated that after hearing a thump, she turned and observed a male wearing all black with a black mask leaning over the victim and searching through the victims pockets while he lay on the ground. She added that the male looked at her asked her to stay away. She then crossed over to the south side of 18th street before observing the perpetrator running eastbound toward 6th Ave. A third male witness stated that he also observed the perpetrator running toward him westbound when the perpetrator came face to face with him, at which point the perpetrator made an about-face and ran eastbound on 18th street toward 6th Ave. The victim was removed to Lutheran Medical Center and was later identified as a Male Hispanic residing in Long Island, NY. He was later pronounced deceased at 2128 hours.