OK, so the second part should NOT be the only reason for common sense when it comes to dealing with our collective trash and recycling.
Not to belabor an issue we ALL are very aware of in the community, but a few common sense things in dealing with trash, recycling and hopefully keeping our streets cleaner year-round and our masked bandits at bay during the warm months (need an example, check out this Tuesday’s fiesta):
- Whenever possible, rinse out our non-recyclable containers before disposal
- Bag all trash before it’s placed into the bins, never throwing raw garbage into the bins
- Lining bins for the trash during the week (not just the night it goes out)
- When needed (due to overly stinky garbage), double bagging on trash night
- Never placing trash or unwashed glass/plastic into recycling containers
- Clean up any spilled trash or recycling (it makes a huge difference, think of the broken window theory, or defense of it)